The Unit Counselor performs a wide variety of tasks related to the care, nurturing, treatment, education, socialization, habilitation, recovery healing, safety, security, and support of residents. The Unit Counselor interacts directly with the residents and assures that all areas of the facility are clean and functioning as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions unless this causes undue hardship to the agency.
1. Participate in or conduct orientation for new residents.
2. Responsible for helping to meet the program needs of residents and developing the spirit, values and culture of the Neighborhoods.
3. Responsible for all communication to residents regarding program processes and activities.
4. Assign tasks to neighborhood residents including light cleaning, maintenance of a Neighborhood message board, meal service and wake-up call.
5. Facilitate daily Neighborhood meetings.
6. Participate in planned interventions with residents as directed, including the use of Motivational Interviewing.
7. Provide social support to residents, including verbal assistance to help residents to help themselves with regard to day-to-day life in the residence and efforts to get and keep housing and employment.
8. Will provide residents on both a group and an individual basis with transportation for housing placement, service appointments, recreational, or other service plan related purposes as appropriate.
9. Assists with meal-related activities such as warming-up food as required, serving it and performing clean-up activities.
10. Document neighborhood activities and interactions with residents as directed.
11. Participate in crisis intervention activities as needed.
12. Participate in management and supervision meetings.
13. Participate in required trainings.
14. Immediately reports serious incidents, allegations of abuse, incidents, or sensitive situations and completes incident reports in accordance with agency policy.
15. Complyand promote compliancewithall applicable laws, regulations and agency policieshelping to strengthen and maintain an ethical organizational culture.
16. Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Effective problem-solving skills
Effective interpersonal skills
Ability to work as a member of a team
Ability to effectively and efficiently respond to questions from persons served
Ability to facilitate a meeting
Ability to present information to persons served and other employees
Ability to maintain self-control in crisis situations
Ability to speak Spanish preferred
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or equivalent plus some experience in a human services facility