Provides oversight and support to Tillary Street Shelter’s monitored medication program.
The LPN is directly supervised by the on site clinic’s medical team, led by the MD, the Clinic Director, and ICL Nursing Department under the guidelines of DHS Medical Services.
The schedule for this position is as follows ;
Monday: 2:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Tuesday: 2:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Wednesday : 2:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Thursday : 2:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Sunday: 2:00 pm - 11:30 pm
1. Maintains weekly Inventory of stocked medication(s) and Medical Supplies.
2. Maintains Monthly Medication Records.
3. Maintains proper storage of medication.
4. Discusses client health concerns with Shelter Medical Team
5. Reviews pharmacy reports, MAR forms, and discards discontinued medication(s) as per ICL
Procedure and Policy. (Only the Shelter Nurse can Dispose of Controlled Substances with a Witness-
This is done by “POP and Flush” and followed by documentation on the Controlled Substance Sheet)
6. The LPN will provide a weekly detailed Medication QA and Systems Report to the Clinic Director with
cc to all applicable staff. This report will include but not limited to controlled substance count,
medication supply, missing MAR entries and Medication Non-Adherence.
7. The LPN, Operation staff and Shelter Integrated Health Team are all responsible for Weekly oversight
of medication Oversight and Systems.
8. Reports client needs, problems and observations regarding client health to MD, Clinic Director, and
Med Tech; Shelter Integrated Health Team.
9. Provides crisis intervention and prevention for all shelter clients.
10. Conducts and/or assists team members in providing informational and educational discussions and
materials with clients on topics such as side effects and adverse effects of medication, coping skills,
sexuality, and specific medical conditions; i.e.: diabetes, HTN, Heart disease, asthma, etc.
11. Reviews Prescribed Medications with the client.
12. Reviews clients adherence to prescribed medication(s) - Documents lack of adherence and informs
Clinic Director, Med Tech, as well as Social Service staff. Informs clinic director/MD
and/or Designee at Tillary Clinic; Shelter Integrated health team.
13. Ensures that the medication room is kept in an orderly and clean condition.
14. Maintains current First Aid and CPR certification.
15. Participates in Team Meetings and Case Conferences.
16. Performs other related job duties as may be assigned to meet client an shelter needs.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work with clients and staff in a caring and respectful manner with due understanding of and consideration for cultural differences
• Ability to communicate effectively with clients and staff
• Ability to complete written forms and reports in an accurate and timely manner, manually and by computer
• Ability to be empathetic and supportive to clients instructing demonstrating modeling and encouraging appropriate behavior and skills
• Ability to secure and maintain certification for standard First Aid and CPR
• Ability to make accurate and timely observation and decisions.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Must have a valid NYS license as Licensed Practical Nurse and current NYS registration, plus at least one year of experience providing services to individuals with mental disabilities. Continuing employment is contingent on maintaining current valid NYS licensure.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Basic Knowledge of mental illness and serious emotional disturbances and substance abuse disorders
• Basic knowledge of treatment, rehabilitation and community support programs as they related to clients and staff
• Basic knowledge of techniques for identifying and preventing potentially violent behavior including crisis management techniques.